There is no adventure like white water rafting and there is no river trip like a Lower New River Gorge whitewater rafting trip. This ancient river is a milestone for East Coast paddlers. Calm pools, perfect for swimming, form between rapids, house-sized boulders line the river and scenery abounds!
On this section, the New River begins to narrow and simultaneously drop in elevation, and big water rapids form. Local boaters call this river section, where the water charges through deep and spectacular bends beneath ancient sandstone cliffs, “The Gorge”.
Children as young as 10 can paddle the Lower New River gorge in an oar rig-equipped raft. Our Best Ride Guarantee means we’ll put you in the raft size best suited for the water levels… and the most fun!
PLEASE NOTE! Oar controlled rafts are required for participants ages 10-11yrs. Call 877.787.3982 to learn more.
Read More +
- Jump Rock: Experience nature’s high dive by jumping off this sandstone boulder into the New River. This is an activity only offered on full day river trips, and is a New River Gorge whitewater rafting guest favorite!
- Surfing: Surf West Virginia style by riding the waves of the New River. This unique experience is only available on full day river trips.
- Swimmers Rapid: Jump out of the boat and swim through a fun and splashy rapid, an option only available on full day trips.
- Class IV+ Rapids: With two class IV+ rapids named Double Z and The Keeney’s, this trip is perfect for beginners and seasoned rafters alike.
- New River Gorge Bridge: Lower New River Gorge rafting trips end under the awe-inspiring New River Gorge Bridge, providing dramatic closure to the most inspiring outdoor journey on the East Coast.
- Riverside lunch: Let your guide be the chef and prepare you a delicious feast on the side of the river.
After you check in for your Lower New River Gorge whitewater rafting trip and are outfitted with your helmet, paddle, and PFD, you’ll load up on the bus and head to the river. Your rafting trip will begin with calmer rapids with a break for a riverside lunch before heading further downstream. From this point on, you’ll be taking on the more wild rapids of the Lower New River, with rapids like the Keeney’s, Double Z, and Fayette Station lying ahead of you. It’s not all nonstop rapids though, the New River Gorge is known as a drop-pool river, where stretches of flat water are present after rapids. This will give you lots of time to swim, take the plunge off of jump rock, and enjoy the breathtaking scenery that the New River Gorge is famous for. You’ll end your trip underneath the iconic New River Gorge Bridge, the perfect end to some of the East Coast’s best whitewater rafting.
- March-May is considered Spring rafting on the New River. The waves will be huge and the current will be fast.
- June & July brings lower water levels and is best for surfing and swimming.
- Unusually high water levels will cause trips to be shifted to a different section of the river for safety.
- Waivers are required for all participants.
- Let us know about any food allergies or dietary restrictions prior to your arrival at ACE
- Water shoes, sunglasses, sunglass straps, and more last-minute essentials can be purchased in the outfitter’s store.
- Wetsuits are available to rent prior to your trip.
- Be sure to leave the jewelry, watches, and any other valuables behind. Your trip leader will secure your car keys in a safe place. Items are easily lost on the river!
TRIP PHOTOS AND VIDEO
- Waterproof cameras/GoPros are allowed on ACE Lower New River Gorge whitewater rafting trips.
- An ACE photographer will take photos along the way for purchase after the trip in the Outfitter store at ACE Adventure Resort or here on our online store…
- All Lower New River Gorge rafting trips will have a trip video, Upper New River Gorge trips will have a photographer only.